Skip to content

Van Insurance

Save up to £590 on Van Insurance. Quickly compare quotes from over 60 providers.*

No registration details? No worries!
Get Van Insurance quotes by Make and Model here >

UK Van Insurance

The UK law requires you to have adequate and suitable Insurance before driving any motor vehicle on public roads, so just as with Cars and Motorbikes, if you drive a Van, you will need the correct type of Insurance.

Getting the right type and level of Van Insurance cover is crucial, so it is worth taking a moment to understand the questions that insurers will ask. As with any type of insurance, if you don’t give the right information when you are getting quotes, you may find yourself with a policy that isn’t able to support you, should you have to make a claim.

When you are looking for great value quotes for Van Insurance, insurers will want to know about the vehicle and about how you will be using it. Being clear and accurate about these points will ensure that you get the right insurance, meaning you can relax knowing that you are properly covered.

Understanding ‘Classes of Use’ when you buy Van Insurance

What are You Using the Van For?

When you are looking for Van Insurance in the UK, you will need to state the Class of Use which accurately describes how you will be using the van. Usually, insurance providers will ask you to choose between 4 different options:

    This type of cover will sometimes be called PRIVATE VAN INSURANCE. It is suitable if you only ever use your van for social, domestic, leisure and pleasure purposes. Perhaps you have a van to make getting your surfboards to the beach easier? Or rely on the van to carry all the family camping gear? Whatever your hobbies or activities, as long as you NEVER use the van for anything to do with your work or business – and this INCLUDES commuting to and from work, then this would be the right Class of Use for your insurance.
    This class of use may well be familiar if you have Car Insurance. With this class, you will be able to do everything covered in the SOCIAL USE ONLY class, but add on insurance cover for commuting to and from work. The definition of COMMUTING is important though – for insurance purposes, commuting is usually defined as travel to and from one, regular place of work – the same place, every time. If your job means you visit a number of different sites, or drive directly to client’s properties, then this probably isn’t the correct class for you.
    This will sometimes be called COMMERCIAL VAN INSURANCE and will be the right choice for you if you use your van as part of your work. If you carry tools or equipment in the van, and/or use it to make journeys to a number of different places, then insurers will consider that ‘Business Use’. It’s worth noting here that your van insurance policy alone probably won’t offer cover for any tools or equipment in the van – although that might be available as an add on with some insurers.
    This last Class of Use is for van drivers who use their vans to deliver good belonging to other people. Whether you need ‘HAULAGE’ or ‘COURIER’ insurance depends on the specifics of the delivery work that you do. Haulage is often defined by the size of the loads, the length of distance of the delivery and by the fact that you are delivering to a single destination. Courier, on the other hand, tends to refer to a delivery service that makes numerous deliveries within a smaller area.

Ready to go? Get Van Insurance quotes now.

Courier & Delivery Driver Insurance

If you will be making numerous deliveries in your van, of goods that are not your own, you might want to look at a specialist Courier Insurance product. These policies will often include features relevant to delivery work and optional extras to insure the goods you carry. There are also specialist policies for insuring a number of vehicles – Motor Fleet Insurance. Finally, if your vehicle weights more than 3.5 Tonnes, Truck Insurance is likely to be the appropriate choice for you.

What Vehicles are Classed as Vans for Insurance Purposes?

What’s the Difference between a Car and a Van and a Truck?

Instinctively, we all feel we know when a car becomes a van – and when a van should be called a truck, but insurance providers work with some more precise definitions and being clear about the class of your vehicle will not only get you the right insurance, but will also avoid you paying any more than necessary for your cover.


Business owners not only need to understand their class of vehicle for Insurance purposes, but it can also impact upon tax and whether or not they can claim back VAT on vehicle purchases. For information on commercial vehicles, you could visit the GOV.UK website and review information on business tax

Vans are usually classed as either:

  • class 4 if it’s up to 3,000kg design gross weight (this include car-type vans)
  • class 7 if it’s over 3,000kg up to 3,500kg design gross weight

You should be able to find out the design gross weight either from the owner’s manual, or it may be shown on a plate fitted to the vehicle. If the vehicle weights more than 3.5 Tonnes, it is likely to be considered a Medium or Heavy Goods Vehicle, and for these, you should be looking at Truck Insurance. For more information, you could visit the Vehicle Weights Explained page of the GOV.UK website.

Van Insurance

Save up to £590 on Van Insurance. Quickly compare quotes from over 60 providers.*

No registration details? No worries!
Get Van Insurance quotes by Make and Model here >

Compare Other UK Insurance Quotes

Our partnership with helps you compare quotes for a range of different types of Insurance. Take a look at these Insurance categories and remember, whatever you select, it will always be quick and easy to find the right Insurance at the best price for you.

Here4Insurance have partnered with to help you save money on your Van Insurance. is a trading style of Seopa Ltd who are a limited company registered in Northern Ireland, Registered number: NI46322. Registered office: Seopa Ltd, 5th Floor Link Building, Adelaide Exchange, 24-26 Adelaide Street, Belfast, BT2 8GD. Seopa Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). Their registered number is 313860.

*51% of consumers could save £590.37 on their Van Insurance. The saving was calculated by comparing the cheapest price found with the average of the next four cheapest prices quoted by insurance providers on Seopa Ltd’s insurance comparison website. This is based on representative cost savings from August 2023. The savings you could achieve are dependent on your individual circumstances.